Dinner Debate: How Can Networking in Science and Technology Help SMEs Meet the Innovation Union Goals?
|Location||European Parliament, Brussels, Belgium|
|Date||29 January 2013 | 19:30 - 22:00|
|Calendar file||.vcs .ics|
On 29 January 2012 COST organised a dinner debate together with the K4I (Knowledge 4 Innovation) Forum of the European Parliament on the topic of 'Enhancing SME cooperation in Science and Technology'. This debate aimed at opening a forum where the SME voice and interest in joining European programmes is heard, promoting SMEs participation in European science and technology networking, and devising opportunities for simplified access of SMEs to participate in European research programmes.
The open, inclusive and bottom-up approach of science and technology networking can be beneficial to SMEs and favour their participation in pan-European research networks. COST Actions provide opportunities for SMEs to engage in science and technology cooperation with representatives of universities and other research institutions.
With this in mind, COST organised a dinner debate that featured the following speakers:
- Prof. Ioannis Tsoukalas MEP, European Parliament
- Mr Jürgen Creutzmann MEP, European Parliament
- Dr Ángeles Rodríguez-Peña, President of the COST Committee of Senior Officials
- Ms Clara De La Torre, Director, Research and Innovation, European Commission
- Dr Marta Martínez Vázquez, Chair of COST Action IC1102, IMST GmbH
- Dr Antonis Toumazis, Member of COST Action ES0901, Toumazis & Associates.
This event, hosted by Prof. Ioannis Tsoukalas MEP, brought together Members of the European Parliament (MEPs), experts from the European Commission and Member States Permanent Representations to the European Union, as well as stakeholders in research policy, to discuss SME involvement in European programmes.
The dinner debate focused on the following issues:
- How to promote the role that SMEs can play in Science and Technology innovations?
- How to involve SMEs from all European countries?
- Can fewer administrative constraints motivate SMEs to participate in European programmes?
- How participation of European SMEs in EU-funded research networking programmes can be enhanced?
COST is one of the founding members of K4I.