Dr Primož Pristovšek
Dr Primož Pristovšek became Head of Science Operations of the COST Association in January 2016. Previously, he was Head of the Department of Research Infrastructure and International Cooperation at the Slovenian Research Agency. He was also Director General of the Directorate for Science and Higher Education within the Slovenian Ministry of Higher Education, Science and Technology.
- From January 1991 to 2006: Employed at the National Institute of Chemistry (NIC), Ljubljana.
- From June 1997 to July 1999: Post-doctoral fellow of the Humboldt foundation at the Institute of Biophysical Chemistry of the J.W.Goethe-University in Frankfurt a.M., Germany.
- From March 2005: Senior researcher at the Laboratory of Biotechnology at the NIC
- From November 2006 to February 2008: Director General – Directorate for Science and Higher Education at the Ministry of Higher Education, Science and Technology of Slovenia
University education (University of Ljubljana, Slovenia)
Ph.D. in Chemistry (Thesis title: “Conformation and biological activity of muramyl dipeptide”) obtained in June 1996.
Dr Pristovšek is fluent in Slovenian, English and German, and has a working knowledge of Croatian and Serbian, as well as a basic knowledge of French.
Attended advanced courses
- International School of Biological Magnetic Resonance. First course: Magnetic Resonance and protein dynamics, Erice (Italy) 15-21.3.1993
- 24th Course Experimental and Computational Approaches to Structure – Based Drug Design – a NATO Advanced Study, Erice (Italy), 9-19.5.1996.
- Practical Training Course on Advanced Computing in NMR Spectroscopy, Firenze (Italy), 18-25.9.1999
Over 40 scientific publications in international journals and book chapters; 2 invited conferences (for a complete list please check theSlovenian Researcher Database ).
Areas of Research Interest & Expertise
- Immunomodulatory peptides and proteins – structure-activity relationship (SAR)
- Protein and peptide structure determination using high resolution NMR spectroscopy
- Determination of binding sites of small ligands on proteins using NMR(“SAR by NMR”)
- Computer programming of expert systems for NMR assignment and structure determination
- Molecular modelling and Molecular dynamics simulations
Presently his responsibilities have shifted towards regulation, formulation and execution of R&D policy, especially in its international dimension.