COVID-19 – Information for COST Actions
We understand that this is a difficult time for our community, so we are monitoring the situation carefully and are committed to informing COST Actions of any new developments related to the COVID-19 outbreak, which may impact their activities.
Recommendations to COST Actions:
- In general, we recommend the use of virtual meetings until further notice.
- As different countries are implementing different measures regarding gatherings and events, we advise all Actions to check individual country stipulations before planning any future meetings.
- For Actions that choose to meet in person,
- we recommend all individuals purchase travel cancellation insurance, which is an eligible expense.
- participants who are unable to participate to an Action event due to prohibitions:
- to enter the country of the event (because of a decision of a public authority of the country of affiliation or the country of the event)
- due to an obligation to serve a quarantine period when entering the event country
may, where the prohibitions apply 48 hours before the date of travel, cancel their attendance to the event. This is to allow participants to cancel their hotels and minimise costs under Force Majeure for COST. Force Majeure will also apply where, within those 48 hours before the meeting, such a new prohibition is put in place.
Participants shall provide supporting documents proving the prohibition (for example via a screenshot from a National Foreign Affairs website or other competent ministry in case of restrictions of travel, or a quarantine certificate).
- With regard to reimbursements, participants shall follow the instructions from the contracted insurance (as recommended). If no insurance was contracted, participants may submit a derogation request as Force Majeure, to the Grant Holder. Other cases of derogations apply as per usual procedure.
A summary of useful online networking tools have been made available on our website. This page is being updated regularly with further suggestions from COST Actions.
Further information can be found on our dedicated COVID-19 page.
COST Actions join forces to tackle COVID-19
Since March 2020, multiple COST Actions have approached the COST programme wanting to collaborate with other Actions on COVID-19 research. In response to these requests and to make the networking process smoother, COST has gathered together in a booklet entitled ‘COST Actions against COVID-19, An interdisciplinary network’, details of all of the Actions wishing to connect and
As the full consequences of the current pandemic are yet unknown
and the threat of a future pandemic is always present, this network offers
considerable potential in mobilising experts and tackling challenges as they arise.
Any Actions wishing to be added to the list should contact Science Officer, Dominique Vandekerchove.