Submit your COST Action proposal
You can now submit your COST Action proposal at any time throughout the year via the new e-COST online submission tool. The 2015 spring Collection Date is 24 March at 12:00 noon (CET).
The Call is open to ideas in all fields of Science and Technology including Humanities and Social Sciences. COST invites proposals for Actions contributing to the scientific, technological, economic, cultural or societal knowledge advancement and development of Europe. COST Action proposals must include researchers from at least five COST Member Countries or Israel, as Cooperating State.
The new set of COST Implementation Rules outline the conditions for participating in and setting up COST Actions.
COST has also established a new Action Proposal Submission, Evaluation, Selection and Approval (SESA) procedure. This new procedure, fully science and technology-driven, will ensure a simple, transparent and competitive proposal evaluation and selection process, in line with the bottom-up, open and inclusive principles of COST.
In short, researchers benefit from a one-stage submission. The proposal requires filling in several sections via the new e-COST online submission tool as well as the Technical Annex of up to 15 pages, uploaded via the same tool.
The guidelines for the SESA procedure and evaluation criteria are now available for download.
Please find a summary here below.
Submission, Evaluation, Selection and Approval procedure: Main features
Solely Science and Technology-driven
- Open to all scientific and technological fields, focusing on excellence
- No prior categorisation in scientific domains
- Equal opportunities to succeed for all scientists and topics
- A single submission stage
- A single proposal
- More user-friendly IT tools
- Straightforward process
- Independent peer review, based on anonymous evaluation
- Proposal evaluation by internationally renowned experts in the field(s)
A three-step approach
- Based on Science and Technology excellence, impact and implementation criteria
- Each proposal anonymously evaluated by three independent External Experts in the science and technology field(s), subfield(s) and research area(s) indicated by the proposers
- Driven by ad-hoc Review Panels reporting to the Scientific Committee, safeguarding the quality of the independent External Expert evaluation outcome and resolving potential differences in their opinions
- Review Panels composed of active scientists nominated by the COST National Coordinators to a pool of experts
- Ad hoc Review Panels created according to the actual needs of the proposals submitted to each Collection Date
- Driven by the Scientific Committee, identifying, among the list of proposals presented by the Review Panels, those that respond best to COST mission and policies
- High-level experts, one per COST Member Country (and one from Cooperating State)
- Top-ranked proposals to be recommended for approval by the Committee of Senior Officials
e-COST is a portal for COST Action participants' registration and financial reporting
COST Implementation Rules
- A. Rules for Participation in and Implementation of COST Activities (132/14) (PDF, 335 kB)
- B.1. COST Action Proposal Submission Evaluation and Approval (133/14) (PDF, 267 kB)
- B.2. COST Action Management, Monitoring and Final Assessment (134/14) (PDF, 341 kB)
- B.3. COST International Cooperation and Specific Organisations Participation (135/14) (PDF, 214 kB)
- SESA Guidelines (PDF, 1 MB)