Scientists and researchers from the 36 COST Member Countries and the Cooperating State can participate in science and technology networks known as COST Actions by:
- Submitting a proposal for a new COST Action
- Joining an existing COST Action
- Becoming involved in specific COST Action activities
- Becoming a COST Expert
What are COST Actions?
COST Actions are bottom-up science and technology networks, open to researchers and stakeholders with a duration of four years. They are active through a range of networking tools, such as workshops, conferences, training schools, short-term scientific missions (STSMs), and dissemination activities. COST does not fund research itself.
COST prides in its support for high-risk, innovative and emerging research themes. However, COST does not set any research priorities.
COST Actions can also pave the way to or establish synergies with EU-funded research projects. Moreover, collaboration within research projects can also lead to new Actions, thus enhancing the networking potential of such consortia.
Who can participate?
Participation is open to researchers:
- in universities, research centres, large and small, public and private organisations from all 36 COST Member Countries and its Cooperating State
- from any science and technology field
- at any career stage
- having any original, innovative idea
You may refer to the COST Implementation Rules outlining conditions for participating in and setting up COST Actions.
COST Action Funding
The average COST Action budget depends on the number of COST Countries participating in the Action.
The funding is provided via an yearly grant agreement. COST is supported by the EU Framework Programme for Research and Innovation Horizon 2020.
The documents below are intended for COST Action participants and for researchers interested in more information about the functioning of COST Actions.
The COST Implementation Rules provide the basic and general conditions for the implementation of COST Activities, with a specific focus on COST Actions.
The COST Vademecum provides the terms and conditions for the financing of COST Actions and other COST activities.
The COST Action Template Centre provides documents that COST Actions may use to report on their activities.
The Key documents are the official announcement of the COST Open Call and the Technical Annex, part of the COST Action proposal
COST Implementation Rules
- A. Rules for Participation in and Implementation of COST Activities (132/14) (PDF, 335 kB)
- B.1. COST Action Proposal Submission Evaluation and Approval (133/14) (PDF, 267 kB)
- B.2. COST Action Management, Monitoring and Final Assessment (134/14) (PDF, 341 kB)
- B.3. COST International Cooperation and Specific Organisations Participation (135/14) (PDF, 214 kB)
COST Action Template Centre
- Grant Agreement Template (PDF, 310 kB)
- e-COST Action Management Tool User Guide (eCAMT) (PDF, 2 MB)
- Final Achievement Report Template - MC Chair (DOCX, 165 kB)
- Final Assessment Report Template - Action Rapporteur (DOCX, 144 kB)
- Monitoring Progress Report Template - MC Chair (DOCX, 159 kB)
- Monitoring Progress Review Template - Action Rapporteur (DOCX, 135 kB)
- Final Action Dissemination grant application template (DOCX, 117 kB)