10 December 2012 | General
COST at EuroMed2012: Promoting Cultural Heritage
Delegates at the EuroMed2012 conference pleaded that cultural heritage research and innovation in all its aspects should be explicitly included in Horizon 2020.
EuroMed2012 focused on Cultural Heritage. The government of the Republic of Cyprus included the EU Cultural Heritage policy and the Europe 2020/Innovation Union Initiative as important thematic priorities in the work programme of the presidency of the Council of the European Union. EuroMed2012 agenda contributed to the programme of the Cypriot Presidency of the EU in the area of Cultural Heritage.
Mrs Androula Vassiliou, European Commissioner for Education, Culture, Multilingualism and Youth participated in the event.
At EuroMed2012, COST organised a successful session on 'Networking with Policy-Makers and Other Professionals' with the involvement of the following COST Actions and initiatives:
- Strategic Workshop organised by COST in 2011 on the ‘Safeguard of Cultural Heritage: A Challenge from the Past for the Europe of Tomorrow'
- COST Action IE0601 ‘Wood Science for Conservation of Cultural Heritage’ (WoodCultHer)
- COST Action D42 on ‘Chemical Interactions between Cultural Artefacts and Indoor Environment’ (EnviArt)
- COST Action C26 ‘Urban Habitat Constructions under Catastrophic Events’
- COST Action IS1005 ‘Medieval Europe - Medieval Cultures and Technological Resources’
- COST Action TD0902 ‘Submerged Prehistoric Archaeology and Landscapes of the Continental Shelf’
Moreover, the newly approved COST Action TD1201 on ‘Colour and Space in Cultural Heritage’ (COSCH) held its kick-off meeting within the framework of EuroMed 2012.
COST Action TD1201 aims at fostering open standards for state-of-the-art documentation of Cultural Heritage, simplifying the usage of high-resolution optical techniques in Cultural Heritage and defining good practice to stimulate research.
Dr Matthias Haury, Head of Science Operations at the COST Office, and Prof. Soulla Louca, Chair of the COST ICT Domain Committee (photo), represented COST at EuroMed2012 and were featured in the conference programme.