COST’s Inclusiveness Policy
COST has been developing its strategies to contribute to European research policy and, in particular, to align them with the common goals set by the European Council, the European Commission and the European Parliament.
COST’s Inclusiveness Policy aims to overcome Europe’s fragmented research landscape and pool existing resources – with the ultimate goal to strengthen the competitive advantages of the European Research Area (ERA).
COST believes it is essential to support the integration and involvement of scientists from less research-intensive countries to complete the ERA. COST pursues this goal via its COST Actions, by creating inclusive science and technology networks. COST Actions bring together excellence throughout Europe’s diversity, as this is undeniably a sign of a successful and competitive scientific community.
COST has developed its Inclusiveness Policy by adopting a Position Paper and an Action Plan to increase inclusiveness in COST activities while fostering scientific excellence throughout Europe. This Action Plan describes activities that are expected to facilitate the participation, access and engagement of researchers from less research-intensive countries in COST Actions. In practice, this reflects into a diverse range of activities, as COST’s nine scientific domains have each a specific approach, and their target countries within the Inclusiveness Policy can vary accordingly.
Through this Action Plan, COST wishes to help counterbalance the unequal access to knowledge infrastructures, distribution of funding and resources.
The Action Plan foresees:
- Organising Systematic meetings with COST National Coordinators (CNC) twice a year;
- Intensified cooperation with research institutions from COST’s Near Neighbour Countries;
- Active inclusion of Early Stage Researchers in COST Actions’ activities;
- Connecting research infrastructures to all potential users and making them more accessible;
- Designing and managing Targeted Networks: policy-driven targeted initiatives approved by the COST CSO.