COST Actions: A Great Opportunity as Incubators for Molecular Science and Technology
|Date||27 - 28 March 2014|
|Calendar file||.vcs .ics|
Founding a company in the fields of chemistry and the life sciences is not only associated with high initial investments for good equipment but it also requires capable minds to develop scientific ideas into marketable products. Many scientists at universities and other research institutions dream about a company but there are many hurdles to overcome to achieve such objective. From the basic scientific intuition to the establishment of a “new technology company“ able to attract customers, find suitable suppliers, hire an appropriate workforce, etc., a rigorous business plan is needed and investment capital is required to launch the start-up.
COST is an ideal platform for addressing these challenges because it is based on networking at the interface of science and technology. The special profile of CMST (Chemistry and Molecular Sciences and Technologies) at the interface of biology, pharmacy, medicine, and materials pushes this COST Domain to take on the challenge and organize a public event thanks to its location at the frontier of modern technology and innovation. In summary, an event of this type including scientists with entrepreneurship ideas, stakeholders and policy makers will fit ideally within Horizon 2020.
The event provided background information on legal issues, managing skills, business-oriented networking, venture capital, policy mechanisms and it should stimulate technology transfer from COST Actions. During the event successful examples of spin-off created or working within CMST Actions were showcased.
Share this COST Event
- Programme - COST Actions: A Great Opportunity as Incubators for Molecular Science and Technology (PDF, 174 kB)
- Booklet - COST Actions: A Great Opportunity as Incubators for Molecular Science and Technology (PDF, 1 MB)
- Conference Report - COST Actions: A Great Opportunity as Incubators for Molecular Science and Technology (PDF, 502 kB)
- Conference Opening and Welcome Address (ZIP, 928 kB)
- 1st Session - Challenges and Future Strategies for SMEs in Europe (ZIP, 184 kB)
- 2nd Session - How to Establish a Start-up in a Research Environment (ZIP, 2 MB)
- 3rd Session - Company Networking within EUREKA (ZIP, 3 MB)
- 4th Session - Legal Issues, Patents and Venture Capital Situation in Europe (ZIP, 3 MB)
- 5th Session - Establishing a Successful Company in Life Sciences in Europe (ZIP, 993 kB)
- 6th Session - Success Stories in CMST COST Actions (ZIP, 7 MB)
Dr Lucia Forzi, Science Officer, Chemistry and Molecular Sciences and Technologies (CMST), COST
Prof. Antonio Laganà, DC Member (Italy) CMST, COST; ECTN Association
Katharina Lehmeier, Project Officer, EUREKA/COST Bureau
Prof. Dr Dieter Schinzer, Chair, Chemistry and Molecular Sciences and Technologies (CMST) Domain Committee, COST
Prof. Anthony Smith, Secretary General, EC2E2N 2 Project of ECTN (European Chemistry Thematic Network) Association
Dr Georges Wanet, Former Coordinator of Trans-Domain Proposal’s Standing Assessment Body, COST