This section is devoted to the governance of COST as implemented by the COST Committee of Senior Officials (CSO), the main decision-making body responsible for the strategic development of COST.
COST Position Paper
On 19 March 2012, the CSO approved COST’s position paper ‘The COST Framework - A cornerstone of the ERA’ (COST 4106/12). This initiative aims at underlining COST’s valuable role in the European Research Area (ERA), as it has been recognised throughout the years by consecutive reviews and assessments – including the Seventh Framework Programme (FP7) mid-term evaluation of COST in 2010. The position paper is available for download and was also further explained in a news item.
COST Action Plan
As a follow-up to the above-mentioned position paper, the CSO approved COST's 'action plan to increase inclusiveness in COST activities while fostering scientific excellence throughout Europe' (COST 4156/12) by written procedure in June 2012.
The Action Plan is available for download and consists of five elements for immediate implementation:
- Information sharing for best management and practices
- Capacity building
- Preparing the future: young talents / next generation leaders
- Connecting research infrastructures to all potential users
- Targeted Actions i.e. policy-driven targeted COST Actions (based on the Plan for Strategic Activities (COST 4107/12)).
COST Mission and Goals
In June 2011, the CSO approved the updated 'COST Strategy' (COST 4157/11) which lists COST's strategic goals. The strategy was approved as a follow-up to the updated 'COST Mission Statement' (COST 4152/11) in May 2011.
- Rules for Participation in and Implementation of COST Activities (COST doc 4112/13) (PDF, 291 kB)
- Action Proposal Submission, Evaluation, Selection and Approval (COST doc 4113/13) (EN13.PDF, 31 kB)
- COST Action Management (COST doc 4114/13) (PDF, 291 kB)
- COST International Cooperation rules (COST doc 4115/13) (PDF, 287 kB)
- COST Action Plan (COST 4156/12) (PDF, 29 kB)
- Communication Plan 2012-2014 (COST 4115/12) (PDF, 60 kB)
- Plan for COST Strategic Activities 2012-2014 (COST 4111/13) (PDF, 346 kB)
- COST Position Paper (COST 4106/12) (PDF, 158 kB)
- COST Strategy (COST 4157/11) (PDF, 35 kB)
- COST Mission Statement (COST 4152/11) (PDF, 23 kB)
- COST Strategy for Early Stage Researchers (COST doc. 295/09) (PDF, 53 kB)
- COST response to EC Consultation (COST 4151/11) (PDF, 86 kB)